Are you thinking about going vegetarian?
Surprisingly, your health isn’t the only thing that can improve when you go vegetarian. Learn more about the benefits of switching to a plant-based diet.
Consider these additional benefits:
1. Grocery budget savings. Did you know that going vegetarian can actually lessen your grocery bills?
* Although you may assume that fresh vegetables and fruits can be expensive, eliminating meat can either offset or save you money. Meat is one of the most expensive items at a grocery store, so becoming vegetarian cuts this expense.
2. Weight loss. Becoming vegetarian can help you lose weight faster.
* A study from the Journal of General Internal Medicine found that participants were able to lose more weight by switching to a vegetarian lifestyle.
* This may be caused by fruits and vegetables helping you feel fuller and avoid cravings.
3. Environmental help. You help the planet when you go vegetarian.
* Raising and shipping meat damages the environment in many ways that fruit and vegetable production can avoid. Meat requires the use of many natural resources (land, feed, caring) before it shows up on your grocery shelf.
* Vegetarians who stick to the diet create fewer greenhouse gas emissions.
4. Better mood. Researchers have discovered that vegetarians report better moods than meat-eaters. This means they’re happier and have lower risks for depression. This is possibly due to fewer hormones that affect the body, which have been fed to livestock.
5. Skin improvement. Eating a vegetarian diet can help your skin. You may notice a healthy glow and fewer breakouts. Plant-based diets add important vitamins and minerals to your diet that benefit the skin.
6. Longer life. Researchers have found that plant-based diets help people live longer, healthier lives. Some may feel lighter in their body, and more confident in doing various activities.
* Vegetarians reduce their risk of cancers, dementia, heart disease, cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, and other illnesses. This contributes to more years being added to their lives.
* Not only do some vegetarians live longer, but also the quality of their life is enhanced. The benefits of a healthier life simply cannot be overstated!
7. Exposure to more foods. Compared to meat-eaters, vegetarians have diets that are filled with more variety. They aren’t afraid to experiment with new foods or try new fruits or vegetables.
* Vegetarians are also more likely to try foods that meat-eaters may avoid.
* Vegetarians are more willing to use new recipes that call for unusual ingredients or cooking procedures. This adds a fun zest to life.
8. More education. Vegetarians are willing to explore more information about diets and health. They’re willing to increase their education outside of the classroom by learning more about food.
* A well-balanced diet is essential for vegetarians. Many are more willing to seek information from their doctors and dieticians about their health and diet.
9. Concern for animals increases. Studies show that many vegetarians become more concerned about the well-being of animals on the planet. They may become advocates or share information about animals with others.
Becoming a vegetarian is a big lifestyle change that shouldn’t be taken lightly. Before you switch your diet, consider these benefits and consult your doctor or dietician.
For the greatest success, start small by gradually switching over your meat-based meals to plant-based meals. Both your mind and body adjust to small changes easier, but these small changes will add up over time to a healthier new lifestyle.