CBD oil has become very popular due to it being a nonaddictive, generally safe alternative to many prescription drugs that could have adverse and potentially permanent side effects.
CBD oil is made by extracting cannabidiol from the cannabis plant and diluting it in a carrier oil, often coconut or hemp seed oil. As many parts of the world are finding that the entire cannabis plant is effective in treating various illnesses, CBD and one of the many other cannabinoids derived from the plant, such as THC (found in marijuana and marijuana-related products), are becoming legal and more socially acceptable.
With its rise in popularity, CBD oil may become more popular and affordable in the near future.
But is CBD oil safe? Is it effective?
Let’s take a look.
CBD oil does have possible side effects. These include:
– Dry mouth
– Reduced appetite
– Increase in liver enzymes
– It can also interact negatively with certain medications, oftentimes similarly to those effects of grapefruit juice and medication
However, in general, CBD oil is quite safe and is not addictive. And most of the possible side effects mentioned are quite mild.
There are a couple of possible serious consequences, too. All of the possible drug interactions haven’t been tested yet, but anti-seizure medication and blood thinners shouldn’t be combined with CBD oil. CBD oil can also raise liver enzymes, which suggests the possibility that the liver is being stressed.
As with any medicinal product, it would be wise to consult with your physician before using it.
However, there have been many benefits tied to CBD oil use which has given rise to its popularity:
1. Chemotherapy. CBD oil can reduce nausea, vomiting, and pain in those receiving chemotherapy treatment.
– Many people with cancer claim the treatment is worse than the cancer itself. CBD oil can make the treatments for cancer a lot more tolerable.
2. Pain relief. Records show that marijuana has been used to treat pain for nearly 5,000 years. CBD is one of the primary components of many marijuana strains that soothes pain.
– CBD oil has been found to reduce pain in several studies. Given that many traditional pain medications have many negative side effects and are potentially addictive, CBD oil is very attractive for treating chronic pain.
3. Hypertension. One study showed that CBD oil lowers blood pressure and may reduce the likelihood of stroke and heart attack.
4. Anxiety relief. CBD oil has been found to be effective in treating anxiety. This is great news, because CBD oil isn’t addictive.
– Many anxiety medications are addictive and often produce undesirable side effects, such as insomnia, agitation, drowsiness, and sexual dysfunction.
5. Acne reduction. The anti-inflammatory effects of CBD oil are believed to be responsible for the reduction of acne in regular consumers of CBD oil. It’s also believed that CBD oil reduces sebum production.
6. Diabetes and cancer. Studies in animals suggest that CBD oil could be effective in helping or treating the prevention cancer and diabetes. This benefit, however, is still being researched and should not be taken as fact.
– Tumors may potentially grow slower in rats that are given CBD oil.
– CBD oil also reduced the incidence of diabetes in rats by over 50% when CBD oil was ingested.
You might be concerned that CBD oil might get you “high” since it’s been closely assocated to marijuana. The short answer is “no,” it will not make you high. CBD oil contains cannabidiol, but not THC. THC is the compound that produces the “high” in marijuana. In fact, CBD oil products are not allowed to be sold in states within the USA if they contain even trace amounts of THC (up to 0.3 percent regulation for many US states, currently 0.2 percent European regulation).
One of the issues with CBD oil is dosing and consistency. CBD oil production is largely still loosely regulated. One manufacturer’s product might have significantly more or less CBD than another’s. A product from the same manufacturer might have consistency issues from one batch to the next. These rules will certainly become more uniform and stricter in the near future. Still, it is best to purchase products from a reputable source.
One way of be assured of higher quality is seeing if the CBD oil company’s product has been submitted for third party laboratory testing. This helps greatly to verify quality and consistency. More and more consumers are demanding such standards, and more and more CBD oil companies are more than willing to comply.
If you decide to use CBD oil, consider the source before you purchase.
CBD oil has a lot of benefits and provides a low amount of risk for most people. It’s important to do the necessary research and talk to your physician first, though.
If you are on any kind of medication, be sure to discuss the use of CBD oil with your physician and your pharmacist before trying it. Again, CBD oil might be a great choice for you, but be sure to do your own research before taking anyone’s advice.