As you age, your brain ages just like every other part of your body.
While a loss of your athletic abilities might be a little depressing, it may be far more depressing to lose a good portion your mental abilities.
The best defense is a good offense. There are many things you can do to enhance your brain’s abilities.
The further you can increase your mental capacities, the longer you’ll be able to enjoy good brain health and functioning. There’s no time like today to get started. Pick a few of these strategies and begin enhancing your brain today!
You can enhance your brain in simple and enjoyable ways, like these:
1. Sleep! Nothing does more for your memory, motor skills, and cognitive skills in general than a good night of sleep. Strive for at least seven hours of sleep each night. Go to bed at a regular time and keep your room dark and quiet.
2. Experiment with your diet. Your diet can have a significant effect on your mental faculties. Cut back on milk products, gluten, processed meats, and artificial colors and flavors and see what happens. Eliminate all processed foods, try a more plant based diet, with more alkalizing greens.
3. Do mental puzzles. These can include crossword puzzles, word scrambles, Sudoku, chess, or any other type of mental exercise. You could even do math problems. Give your brain a workout each day. You can even do this while watching TV at night.
4. Learn something new. You could learn a new language or how to play the guitar. Maybe you want to learn how to paint portraits or rebuild a car. Your brain actually changes structure when you learn something new. Keep your brain’s neuroplasticity in tip-top shape by challenging it regularly.
5. Listen to music. There is some research that supports the idea that listening to classical music increases certain types of intelligence, but perhaps other genres work well, too. Enjoy yourself by listening to music you really enjoy, while enhancing your mental capabilities.
6. Exercise. Exercise strengthens nerve connections and keeps blood flowing and helps to also rid yourself of waste. Not to mention it also improves blood flow to the brain. Studies show that animals that exercise learn up to twice as fast. Try a variety of exercises. The key is to get your blood flowing and to enjoy the process enough that you’ll do it consistently.
7. Be social. Studies show that social seniors have significantly better brain function than those that are less socially active. Social activities provide a different type of stimulation that does your brain good. Get out of the house and mingle with others.
8. Practice variety. A routine can be limiting to your brain. Change up activities. Instead of doing the same thing each night, shake things up a little bit. You might go out to eat one night, go bowling another, and stay at home and cook something new on the next evening. New experiences challenge your brain.
Your brain loses up to 10% of its weight between the ages of 20 to 80. You can combat the effects of aging by exercising your brain regularly. A proper diet and enough sleep can also work wonders.
Aging is inevitable, but that doesn’t mean you have to “act your age.” You can get ahead of the curve and enhance your brain function today.