During the last several decades there has been a change towards mechanization and systematization of farming, using pesticides, additives, herbicides, synthetic fertilizers and mass-production techniques.
All this is clearly affecting mankind’s health, and new diseases are spreading rapidly among humans and animals (bird’s flu being the most recent one) and our own natural ability to stay healthy.
The World Health Organization produces reports to show how the use of chemicals and other products on food, coupled with the manufacturing processes involved, are actually a threat for our health.
If you have space for a few pots or even a small piece of land, it could be a wise decision to grow your own organic vegetables, now more than ever. Here are seven great reasons:
1. You will have no additives in your vegetables. Research by organic food associations has shown that additives in our food can cause heart disease, osteoporosis, migraines and even hyperactivity.
2. There will be no pesticides or synthetic fertilizers used. These chemical products are applied to obtain crops all the time regardless of plagues or weather conditions, and affect the quality of the vegetables. Besides, pesticides can accumulate in the body and become poisonous to humans.
3. Your vegetables will not be genetically modified (GM). Antibiotics, drugs and hormones are used on vegetables to grow more and larger ones. One of the consequences of this practice are vegetables which look all the same but are usually tasteless. In addition, we end up consuming the hormones that have been used on the vegetables, with the potential risks for our health.
4. Eating your own organic vegetables will be much healthier for you. They will not contain any of the products or chemicals named above, and they will be much more natural than anything you would find at the supermarket. Your health will not be at risk because you will know that nothing has been added.
5. Your own organic vegetables will be much tastier. The use of pesticides, synthetic fertilizers, hormones and antibiotics make vegetables grow unnaturally and take the taste away from them. With organic vegetables, your cooking will be enhanced as their natural flavor will come out.
6. Organic farming is friendlier to the environment. Because you won’t use pesticides or other equally harmful products on your vegetables, you will not damage the soil or the air with chemical components.
7. When you grow your own organic vegetables you are contributing to your own self-sustainability and the sustainability of the planet. Small communities have been founded where members exchange products that they grow naturally, thus producing only what is needed and lessening waste.
Eating organic products simply means that we do not add anything else to them than they would have naturally. To better care for your health, grow your own organic vegetables. To start with, you only need a few pots and some tender loving care.