Do you ever feel like you just got up on the wrong side of the bed?
Or maybe you started out the day great, but then something happened that spoiled it for you. You might be thinking that the day is shot. But you don’t have to let that ruin your whole day!
Luckily, you can uplift your mood – without drugs or other substances – just as quickly as it went downhill. Try these methods to turn that frown upside down:
1. Find something to fix. Do you have some household chores that can be done? Is a faucet leaking in the kitchen or bathroom? Physical activity combined with fixing something around you can be a powerful way to lift your spirits.
* Whether you fix a broken door handle, leaking faucet, or sew on a button, these simple fixes matter. They’re distracting, easy, and fulfilling at the same time.
* Even changing a lightbulb can make you feel accomplished and boost your mood quickly.
2. Reach out to an old friend. Talking with an old friend can bring back positive memories. Get in touch with a friend online or over the phone.
* Catch up with them and talk about your past. Relive some of the memories you had together.
3. Cross something off your to-do list. A long to-do list can feel intimidating and weigh you down. Try to cross off at least one thing on the list and be proud of what you’ve done.
* Start by picking the easiest and fastest task on the list. Finish it quickly.
* Then, cross off the task with a bold marker or pen. This physical act can help boost your mood.
4. Watch a comedy. Do you have a favorite funny movie that always makes you feel better? Consider having a comedy night at home. Turn on your favorite movie or TV show and relax. Turn it into a real movie night with fresh popcorn and dimmed lights.
5. Spend time with pets. Research studies have shown that simply petting a cat can calm you down and make you feel better.
* Take your dog for a walk at a local park or around the neighborhood.
* Spend time cuddling with your cat and rubbing its stomach.
* Talk to your pets and forget your troubles.