Two of the most powerful words in the English language are “thank you.”
With those two words, you can express appreciation for a kind gesture or service someone has done for you. These words have the power to make someone’s day.
When you want to go the extra mile in expressing gratitude, try one of these 23 ways to say “thanks”
1. Smile. Express your gratitude with a smile and the other person will almost always smile back. If that person is having a bad day, a smile could be just the thing that turns their day around.
2. Send a note. If you’re shy, you may find it easier to express yourself in writing. If writing intimidates you, simply write a short note expressing your gratitude. Your heartfelt words will mean more to the recipient than the most beautiful prose or poetry. As a matter of fact, it will be poetry to them.
3. Buy a unique gift. Look for a small item that you can give as a token of your appreciation. If you’re unsure of what to get, try buying them coffee or sending them chocolates. You can also ask their friends for ideas.
4. Invite them out. Social distancing permitting, you can say “thank you” with a dinner or time together doing something fun that you both enjoy.
5. Share your story. Tell others about what someone has done for you. They’ll likely hear about how highly you’re speaking of them. Better yet, praise them to others in front of them. This will improve their reputation and their confidence at the same time.
6. Offer a favor. Let the person choose what kind of favor they’d like from you. A small favor can often help someone out in a big way.
7. Buy them a ticket to an event. Find a local concert (possibly online event) or show that they would enjoy and buy them tickets.
8. Contribute to a charity. Find out what your recipient is passionate about and then make a donation to an appropriate charity in their name.
9. Add a personal touch. Say “thank you” with a homemade gift. The person will recognize your thoughtfulness and appreciate the gesture. You can hand craft a card or make a photo slideshow. Create something sentimental that truly shows your appreciation.
10. Phone call. Sometimes a simple phone call is all you need to get your message across. In addition to a phone call to say “thank you,” call on a regular basis to see how they’re doing. Offer your friendship.
11. Give them a “Gift of the Month.” For someone who’s always doing nice things for you, consider a gift subscription to their favorite magazine, or coffee, or flowers. You can also prepay for a subscription to a “book of the month” club that features books that interest them.
12. Give a gift certificate. If you’re having trouble figuring out the perfect thank you gift, consider a gift certificate to a local mall or online store that sells a variety of different merchandise. That way, they’re sure to get something they like.
13. Bake some cookies. If you love to bake, your talents can be a sweet way to show your gratitude. Everyone appreciate delicious, homemade desserts.
If you go the extra mile to show someone you’re genuinely grateful, the gesture will be remembered for a long time to come. Strengthen a significant relationship in your life today. Choose one of these ideas or come up with your own, and say “thank you” to someone special in a meaningful way.